You can listen to this post of Allow us to Rethriftrodeuce Ourselves on a podcast app, with the audio player, or scroll down and read highlights below.
We’re wrapping up this year’s 12 Months of Thrifting Challenge with one of my favorite themes: embellishments, sparkle, and shine. Although we’re focusing on thrifting embellished items in December, you can shop and style this theme year round. From vintage to new, I can always count on finding beads, sequins, and sparkle at Goodwill.
Before we break down some ways you can thrift and style embellishments, let’s define what we mean by them. Think of anything that will add texture and shine to your outfit, including but not limited to:
There are many ways you can incorporate a little shine and sparkle to your daily looks without having to go full-on prom queen or 1980s Golden Girls (Although I do love me some Blanche Devereaux).
Easy ways to style embellishments:
• Pair embellishments with different textures like silk, jacquard, leather, lace, or embroidery.
• Juxtapose embellishments with pieces like combat boots, leather jackets, floral, velvet, plaid, or denim button downs
• Embellishments are often associated with formal wear, but you can easily dress down some pieces with jeans, jackets, or sneakers.
• If you don’t want to go overboard with embellishments or you want to tone them down for a daytime look, thrift pieces with embellished accents, like sequin shoulders, studded collars, or beaded cuffs.
Ready to shop?
Every month we provide you with a handy shopping list so when you’re out thrifting at Goodwill you can easily find this month’s thrift theme.
Mild: Need time to warm up to embellishments? Try searching for these items:
• Flat shoes
• Purses & clutches – look for interesting shapes and colors
• Sweaters & cardigans
Medium: Ready to take your sparkle and shine up a notch? Add these items to your thrift wish list:
• Statement necklaces
• Blazers & jackets
• Button down shirts
Bold: These bold pieces are sure to make a statement. Add these to your Goodwill wish list:
• Skirts (maxi, pencil, mini)
• Gowns and full length dresses
• Mini dresses
Thanks for joining us this year for another round of 12 Months of Thrifting. We hope you learned new tips and tricks on how to build and style a thrifted wardrobe from Goodwill.
To see the challenge prompts from prior years, click here.