It’s been a busy summer so I’ve been feeling like things are off balance a bit. Since there wasn’t much I could do to change my schedule around, I realized I had to find balance from within and limit the distractions.
Here are 10 quick and easy things you can do for seven days to achieve mindfulness and balance when things are feeling just a bit off:
- Wake up early every morning and don’t rush.
- Meditate for 10 minutes (try the app Headspace). I never took meditation seriously, and still have a long way to go but I’m learning how to present in the moment and how to really focus on my body and breath. This app makes it so easy. If you feel silly the first day, keep on pushing through. It gets better.
- Exercise every day for a week. Whether it’s an evening stroll, early morning power walk or an intense boot camp session. Do something that will get you moving.
- Drink a lot of water every day. I try to drink seven of these water bottles every day.
- Go out with friends on the weekend. Don’t try to substitute this with anything else like a funny movie or show. There’s nothing quite like the company of a great friend or sister.
- Limit the number of times you check your email every day to a realistic number, but one that will help you find peace. For me it was once for personal email and twice for work.
- Start and try to finish a really great book in a week.
- Refrain from either checking or posting on social media for a week.
- Limit your sugar intake.
- Say something kind to yourself every morning.